Question

Suppose that a test for determining whether a person has been infected with COVID-19 has a...

Suppose that a test for determining whether a person has been infected with COVID-19 has a 20% rate of false positives (i.e. in 20% of applications, the test falsely indicates that a person has been infected with COVID-19 when they actually have not). Now, consider the likelihood that when 100 healthy people are tested, the test falsely indicates that between 10 and 30 of them are infected.

a. Calculate the expected number of false positives (μ) in a sample of 100.

b. Calculate the standard deviation in the number of false positives (σ) in a sample of 100.

Homework Answers

Answer #1

Solution:-

Given that:-

The test has a false positie rate of 20%. This is same as the probability that any given test is false positive is 0.20

Let X be the number of false positives out of 100 people tested. We can say that X has a Binomial distribution with parameters, number of trials (number of people tested) n=100 and success probability (the probability that any given test is false positive) p=0.20.

a) The expected value of X using the formula for the expectation of binomial distribution is

ans: The expected number of false positives in a sample of 100 is

b) The standard deviation of X using the formula for the standard deviation of binomial distribution is

ans: The standard deviation in the number of false positives in a sample of 100 is

Know the answer?
Your Answer:

Post as a guest

Your Name:

What's your source?

Earn Coins

Coins can be redeemed for fabulous gifts.

Not the answer you're looking for?
Ask your own homework help question
Similar Questions
Suppose that a test for determining whether a person has been infected with COVID-19 has a...
Suppose that a test for determining whether a person has been infected with COVID-19 has a 20% rate of false positives (i.e. in 20% of applications, the test falsely indicates that a person has been infected with COVID-19 when they actually have not). Now, consider the likelihood that when 100 healthy people are tested, the test falsely indicates that between 10 and 30 of them are infected. c. Before you use the normal approximation to calculate P(10 ≤ x≤ 30),...
We know that the probability of a person getting infected with COVID-19 (based on global data)...
We know that the probability of a person getting infected with COVID-19 (based on global data) is 30% and the probability of dying because of COVID-19 (gobally) is 7.012% After doing tests to 3,500 people in Florida we have found that 86% have not tested positive for COVID-19 and that 4.9% of the ones that tested positive died. 1. Calculate the probability of a randomly chosen person in Florida to NOT to get infected with COVID-19 2. Calculate the probability...
⦁   Suppose in August the Covid-19 situation has calmed down. Since not everyone shows symptoms and...
⦁   Suppose in August the Covid-19 situation has calmed down. Since not everyone shows symptoms and some symptoms could have been a different pneumonia we might use an anti-body test to see if people have had the disease. Let’s assume by August 40% of the US has had the disease. The anti-body test is not perfect. Some people will get “false positives” or “false negatives”. 90% of people who test positive will actually have had the disease. 95% of people...
One of the current tests for detecting COVID-19 (the RT-PCR test rather than the antibodies test)...
One of the current tests for detecting COVID-19 (the RT-PCR test rather than the antibodies test) is better than chance, but not great. The test fails to detect COVID-19 in about 30% of patients who in fact are infected.1 But so-called "false positives" are rarer; let's estimate that the test "detects" COVID-19 in about 0.5% of patients who are not in fact infected. As of April 6, 2020, there were 1,266 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in B.C. by testing.2 Since...
A person takes a test to detect the occurence of a disease. The test’s characteristics are...
A person takes a test to detect the occurence of a disease. The test’s characteristics are such that a person testing positive has actually a 70% chance actually having contracted the disease. Meaning that a person not having contracted the disease has a 30% chance of testing positive to it. The test’s results are used to allow a person to exit a quarantine – because having the disease makes them immune to it and they are no longer in risk...
The table below shows the total number of COVID-19 tests conducted in Australia and in selected...
The table below shows the total number of COVID-19 tests conducted in Australia and in selected state and territory, since 22 January 2020. This figure represents the percent of all tests that have returned a positive result for COVID-19. The number of total tests conducted is updated daily but the rate of positive tests has been found to be invariant. Suppose that people independently conducted their tests following a binomial distribution and the percent of positive tests reported in each...
Consider a test for detecting if an athlete has used a performance-enhancing drug. Let θ be...
Consider a test for detecting if an athlete has used a performance-enhancing drug. Let θ be the likelihood that the drug test gives the correct result. That is, the probability of drug test being positive (R = 1) when they actually did (D = 1), is θ. And the probability it reports no drug use when indeed there was none is also θ. More formally, P(R=1|D=1) = P(R=0|D=0) = θ Suppose also that the proportion of athletes in a particular...
A survey was run on Facebook to determine if people had tested positive for COVID-19. There...
A survey was run on Facebook to determine if people had tested positive for COVID-19. There were 14,000 San Diego residents who responded and their infection rate was found to be 9%. Another simple random survey was done of 2,000 San Diego residents and it was found that 5% of them had been infected. Based on your knowledge of statistics, what do you tell the County Health Officer about which results to believe? a) The rate is probably close to...
The Basic Steps to Calculating a Hypothesis Test You want to start by determining whether you...
The Basic Steps to Calculating a Hypothesis Test You want to start by determining whether you are interested in working with a mean or a proportion. Then identify each of the parts listed below. In order to use the formulas for a hypothesis test we first need to confirm that the sample size requirements for the central limit theorem are satisfied. See the notes for more information. If the sample size is not met acknowledge that you need to proceed...
In a pandemic respiratory infectious disease caused by a virus A, the diagnostic test has been...
In a pandemic respiratory infectious disease caused by a virus A, the diagnostic test has been developed and carried out. Under this test when an individual actually has the disease with a positive result (true-positive test) occurs with the probability of 0.99, whereas an individual without the disease will show a positive test result (false-positive test) with the probability of 0.02. What is more, scientists have shown that 1 out of 1000 adults is confirmed positive and has this disease....