We have all wondered how many licks it takes to get to the Tootsie Roll Center of the Tootsie
Pop, but have you ever heard of this urban legend?
“If you get a wrapper with a Native American shooting a
star, and take the wrapper to the store where you bought, they will give you a free Tootsie Pop!”
Roll Company has never actually given free candy for finding a full image of the Native American shooting a
star. However, they do make the claim that the full image appears on 1 out of 8 Tootsie Pop wrappers. We
are wanting to investigate the company’s claim and see if the image appears more often or not.
1. What is the research question?
2. What would be the observational unit?
3. What is the variable? Is it categorical or quantitative?
4. In words, what is the parameter of interest? What symbol do we use for this parameter?
5. In symbols, what are our hypotheses?
6. What is their sample statistic? What symbol do we use for this?
7. For this study, create a simulation to real-study table as we have seen in class.
8. If I were to make you simulate this by hand, how would you do it?
1) Research question : To test the company's claim that the full image appears on 1 out of 8 Tootsie Pop wrappers
2) The observational unit will be Tootsie Pop wrappers
3) Variable: Toostie Pop wrapper with a Native American image or not. It is a categorical variable
4) Parameter of interest is the proportion of full image on Tootsie Pop wrappers. We denote it with p
Their sample statistic is
Get Answers For Free
Most questions answered within 1 hours.