describe the fundamentals of metrology and some companies are doing to create a systematic approach to metrology
Metrology is the science used in measurement for maintaining quality. It has three layers of basic activities, namely:
1. Definition of the units of measurement
2. Understanding these units in reality (practice)
3. Traceability, linking the measurements realized in practice with that of the standards set for reference.
These basic overlapping activities are used by three sub-fields in varying degrees as they are not standard all the time. The three sub-fields used are:
1. scientific or fundamental metrology- the units of measurement are defined here.
2. Applied, technical or industrial metrology-application of the units of measurement to the manufacturing process and other activities
3. Legal metrology- which includes the regulatory and statutory requirements for using metrology such as measuring instruments and the methods used in metrology.
Companies use metrology to regulate the processes and any deviations are alerted as soon as there variation in the measurement. Metrology is one of the industrial quality control. Metrology is gaining importance today in all fields as it is the science of measurement. It is systematic approach for the calibration process and identification of the measurement errors. There are uncertain quantities of error and we do not know the measurement of these errors. These are identified with metrology. Companies implement metrology concepts in the manufacturing and other aspects where there is measurement uncertainty. Companies establish units of measurement and compare them with the actuals to measure uncertainty using metrology concept.
Get Answers For Free
Most questions answered within 1 hours.