1. Discuss the losses in the older adult age .
2. Discuss the psychosocial effects of losses in the older adult.
3. Discuss other risks associated with losses in the older adult.
4. What are the nurse's role in assessing and
monitoring the older adult.
1. Losses in the older adult age.
1. Loss of health:- many disease condition and physical limitation relating to ageing and illness are very common . loss of hearing, loss of visualisation are reported in many cases.
2. Loss of physical activity. Decreased psychomotor abilities . Tremors in extremities requires physical assistance in almost all activities like walking ,grooming, bathing and caring for oneself.
3. Death of loved ones :- Death of loved ones can be devastating like spouse , siblings death. Stress increases because of loneliness.There are only the memories left with the person
Risk associated with these losses are
Accidents:- it may result in meting with an accidents if not accompanied by anybody
Death:- grief and sorrow for their loved ones may result in death.
Mental depression:- older individual may go into mental depression as they get feeling of being the burden for the family and society in the long run.
Nurse role in assessing and monitoring the older adults.
1. To carry out monthly home visit to the older adult to check the physical and psychological status of the individual and report if anything found to be critical.
2. Indulge them in activities indoor or outdoor with same age group of people.
3. Provide good nutrition and educate family members about nutrition.
4. As far as possible accompanist need to be kept in older adults who has hearing and memory loss or any other deformities.
5. Keep a card with them indicating the details like Name age address and contact number so that they can be traced easily.
Get Answers For Free
Most questions answered within 1 hours.