Select a least two social determinants of health and explain how they affect access and health. Once again, examine the state of North Carolina's/your county's, Durham health statistics, are the two determinants you selected a focus in that report? Examine if there are policies or programs at the federal or state levels that are in place with the goal to reduce healthcare disparities in relation to the two determinants you selected.
Social determinants of health:
Health is influenced by many factors like life style and behaviour, genetics, physical and environmental influences , availability of health services and social factors. Social determinants of health are the social and economic conditions that influence the health status of the people in a community. social determinants of health of a person may based upon his education,income and occupation . Along with these social determinants social support, social attitudes and beliefs, cultural practices, Acess to technologies , social media and internet are also determining a person's health status.
Social determinants of health in North Carolina:
* Poverty or low income
* Exposure to violence
Reports on North Carolina's health status and different Health statistics reports revealed that the major social factors that affect the health of the people in North Carolina are Poverty due to low income or lack of occupation and exposure to violence. Infant mortality rate in North Carolina is 7.8 , whereas the national rate is 5.8 and suicide rate 14.3 , homicide rate 6.9 and firearm death rate is 13. 7 . ( according to CDC).
Poverty or low income of the family or parents can affect:
* a child's birth his early childhood development: As mother is not consuming adequate nutrients the baby will not get adequate nutrition in utero or through the breast milk after birth. Early childhood development may impair due to low family income as the parents will not be able to meet the growing child's or antenatal mother's nutrient needs.
* education and quality of education an individual receives.
* Acess to food and safe housing
* Access to health care services : A person's family income can determine his acess to facilities such as Medicaid or Medicare and other health services availability. Even they hesitate to go to hospitals due to the less savings in their hand .
Exposure to violence: Exposure to violence is a major social determinant as the society or the environment they live is not safe for the child or for an individual .Firearm deaths, homicides and suicides are increasing alarmingly . Human trafficking and child abuse is two major social evils that deteriorate an individual's physical and mental health.
Policies and programmes for reducing the healthcare disparities based on this two social determinants:
Government of North Carolina implemented strategies to Achieve health equity by reducing the factors that negatively affect the health outcomes .
* Implementation of Strategies to improve the living condition, such as safe housing, more employment opportunities, increased living standards, Easy access to primary health services through Government health centers and non profit hospitals.
* Strategies to tackle inequitable distribution of money , power and resources.
* Organizing awareness programmes and educational programmes on the importance of health and litetacy and the wise use of firearms.
* Activities and programmes to promote Mental health and to reduce violence, homicide and suicide.
* Awareness programmes against Abuse and human trafficking.
*Implementation of ' Prevent violence NC' : Innovative programmes to reduce violence and to support survivors.
* Family violence prevention and services programmes
* Essay challenges for teens in NC on the topic of ' Do The Right Thing ' to reduce gun violence and dating violence.
* Violence prevention programmes among LGBTQ youth.
Get Answers For Free
Most questions answered within 1 hours.