A definite trend in US managed care is the move to
Disease Management (DM) for patients with chronic diseases and
long-term conditions. What exactly is Disease Management? Provide
some examples of diseases which may benefit well from a DM model of
Disease Management is one of the important trend in
United States' Managed Care for the well being of patients with
chronic and long-term conditions. This system of Healthcare
interventions empowers individuals ,by working with health care
providers , to manage their chronic and long-term conditions and to
prevent associated complications. Interventions and communications
that coming under this Health care programme are design for a
specific patient population , with certain disease condition where
self care activities can be implemented .
Disease Management model and examples of diseases:
Disease Management ( DM model of care is a systematic , multidisciplinary and proactive approach to healthcare delivery to all types of patients with chronic diseases and long-term conditions. In US 75% of health care spending is for the management and treatment of chronic conditions like Diabetes Mellitus, hypertension,heart diseases etc. Disease Management Care implemented the strategies that include structured treatment and health education plans that are aimed to improve the quality of life of the patient by helping the people to manage their chronic diseases and there by reducing the Healthcare cost.
The main components of Disease Management Programmes are:
* Identification of Patient population , especially with chronic and costly condition.
* Involvement of multidisciplinary teams such as physician, nurses, Dietition, psychologists, pharmacists etc for collaborative practice and to form Evidence based practice guidelines.
* Identify the different risks and problems and plan for interventions.
* Delivery of patient education for selfcare or self- management. Also it focuses on primary prevention, connecting support group and encouraging behaviour modification .
* Appropriate use of Information technology for proper monitoring and feedback.
* Outcome measurement and evaluation on the basis of patient satisfaction , use of health care services and expenditure.
Examples of diseases that are benefited by DM;
* Diabetes Mellitus
* Coronary artery disease
* Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary disease
* Congestive heart failure .
which of these concepts is most cost-effective? Is that the most important aspect of the comparative analysis?
which of these concepts is most cost-effective? Is
that the most important aspect of the comparative analysis?
I need to answer that question from the information that is there.
Delivery of patient education for selfcare or self- management. Also it focuses on primary prevention, connecting support group and encouraging behaviour modification is the right answer.This is most important aspect of the comparitive ananlysis because the health education for the self care is much weighed to keep the individual and tereby the community awaya from the diseases.And it can be done very easily with no or less cost comparing to other components.
Get Answers For Free
Most questions answered within 1 hours.