PAN is spun into fibers using wet-spinning. What are the advantages and disadvantages of wet-spinning.
Advantages of Wet spinning include
1. It can be used for any polymer. Even polypropylene, polyethylene aand nylon can be converted from polymer to their fibre by this technique.
2. The process is continous
3. Fibre can attain maximum strength which can be comparable with maximum theoretical strength especially for flexible polymers. This cannot be attained with melting spinning process
Disadvantages of Wet spinning include
1. Production rate is low
2.Post spinning operations are lengthy.
3. Therefore, very high cost of production.
4. Formation of exact fibre cross section is difficult to control because of inward and outward mass transfer.
5. More than one bath is required for complete removal of solvent from polymer
Get Answers For Free
Most questions answered within 1 hours.