1. Which of the following is NOT a type of protein in meat?
A) myoglobinB) actin C) myosin D) collagen E) all of the above are proteins present in meat
2. Some proteins can act as emulsifiers. This means that these proteins can A) prevent the change in pH of the food B) keep the oil and water mixed C) not be denatured by acid D) can speed up the rate of a reaction 3. As an egg gets older, the air cell gets smaller A) true B) false 4. Triglycerides commonly found in food are composed of three identical fatty acids on the glycerol backbone A) True B) False
5. Hydrogenation of oil A) lowers the melting point of the lipid B) makes the lipid solid at room temperature C) decreases the susceptibility of the lipid to oxidative rancidity E) both b and c.
6. Which of the following is CORRECT about trans fatty acids? A) they occur naturally in most fats and oils in large amounts B) they are liquid at room temperature C) they are saturated fatty acids D) they contain double bond(s).
7. This fatty acid shown below is an example of A) a polyunsaturated omega 3 fatty acid B) a polyunsaturated omega 6 fatty acid C) a cis monounsaturated fatty acid D) a trans monounsaturated fatty acid.
8. Which of the following is CORRECT regarding the meat tenderness? •
A) the more exercised a muscle, the more tender would the meat be from that muscle. • B) meat obtained from different parts of an animal may have different degree of tenderness. • C) the older the animal, the more tender the meat • D) Adding food acids (like lemon juice or vinegar) to the meat will make the meat tougher
9.High acid foods can be canned in boiling water and don’t require pressure canning because the acidity of the high acid foods can act as an anti-microbial agent • A) true • B) false
10. When the tertiary structure of proteins is disrupted, the proteins lose their functionality. This is called ____________ of proteins. • A) hydrolysis • B) denaturation • C) digestion • D) hydrogenation
Answer 1- a) myoglobin
Reason- The type of proteins present in the meat are:- myosin, actin, collagen and elastin. These are responsible for the overall structure of muscle.
Answer 2- b) keep the oil and water mixed
Reason- protein acts as a emulsifier. It breaks the bigger fat molecules into the smaalsr ones.
Answer 3- b) false
Reason- The air cell is a air pocket forms between the outer and inner membranes at the larger end of the egg.So, as the egg gets older, the size of air pocket gradually increases.
Answer 4- a) true
Reason- the fats consists of three fatty acids and a glycerol, thus named as triacylglycerols or triglycerides. It is formed by the joining of three fatty acids to a glycerol backbone in a dehydration reaction.
Get Answers For Free
Most questions answered within 1 hours.