5. Hydrogenation of oil A) lowers the melting point of the lipid B) makes the lipid solid at room temperature C) decreases the susceptibility of the lipid to oxidative rancidity E) both b and c.
6. Which of the following is CORRECT about trans fatty acids? A) they occur naturally in most fats and oils in large amounts B) they are liquid at room temperature C) they are saturated fatty acids D) they contain double bond(s).
7. This fatty acid shown below is an example of A) a polyunsaturated omega 3 fatty acid B) a polyunsaturated omega 6 fatty acid C) a cis monounsaturated fatty acid D) a trans monounsaturated fatty acid.
8. Which of the following is CORRECT regarding the meat tenderness? • A) the more exercised a muscle, the more tender would the meat be from that muscle. • B) meat obtained from different parts of an animal may have different degree of tenderness. • C) the older the animal, the more tender the meat • D) Adding food acids (like lemon juice or vinegar) to the meat will make the meat tougher
9.High acid foods can be canned in boiling water and don’t require pressure canning because the acidity of the high acid foods can act as an anti-microbial agent • A) true • B) false
10. When the tertiary structure of proteins is disrupted, the proteins lose their functionality. This is called ____________ of proteins. • A) hydrolysis • B) denaturation • C) digestion • D) hydrogenation
5. hydrogenation is a technique by which liquid fatty acids or oils are made solid and also prevents rancidity occuring from oxidation. hence, both (b) and (c) are correct.
6. trans fatty acids are solid at room temperature (think animal fats) and are unsaturated and contain doubl bonds so the movement is restricted around the bond.
7. no picture found.
8. exercising makes the meat less tender and so does age. adding lemon or vinegar breaks the connective tissues in meat, making it more tender. hence, meat obtained from ifferent parts of an animal have varying degree of meat tenderness.
9. true. high pressure canning is used to kill spores (eg. botulinum spores). High acid food can be canned in boiling water because such spores don't grow in acid foods.
10. when proteins lose their function, it is called denaturation.
Get Answers For Free
Most questions answered within 1 hours.