1. What determines the sequence of nucleotides on the newly synthesized strands during DNA replication?
a. the nucleotide sequence of the template strand
b. the way that the parental DNA strands are untangled by topoisomerase.
c. the genetic code, as specified by the RNA reading frame
d. the nucleotide sequence of the coding strand
2. A difference between meiosis and mitosis is that_________.
a. DNA replication occurs twice in meiosis but only once in mitosis
b. sister chromosomes are always separated before cytokinesis in mitosis but not in meiosis
c. homologous chromosome pairs are found in meiosis but not in mitosis
d. meiosis always occurs in diploid cells and mitosis always occurs in haploid cells
3. Which of the following is the FIRST haploid cell produced during oogenesis?
a. the ovum
b. the primary oocyte
c. the oogonium
d. the secondary oocyte
4. A woman with type B blood has two children with a man who has type A blood. One child has blood type A, the other has blood type B. If this couple decides to have a third child, what is the probability that this child will have blood type O? (This is a single-locus question with no possibility of epistasis.)
b. The answer can’t be determined from the information provided.
1. A. The nucleotide sequence of the template strand.
DNA polymerase extends the nucleotide sequence using the RNA primer in 5'-3' direction or using the template strand.
2. C. Homologous chromosome pair are found in meiosis but not in mitosis.
Mitosis results in the production of genetically identical cells and does not have homologous chromosome but in meiosis the exchange of genetic material or recombination leads to the production of homologous chromosome.
3. D. The secondary oocyte.
The primary oocyte divides by meiosisI to form the first polar body and the secondary oocyte which are both haploid.
4. C. 25%
Since in ABO blood group, O is always recessive , the possible blood groups can be AB, AO means A, BO and OO means O. So there's 25% probability that the child will have blood group O.
Get Answers For Free
Most questions answered within 1 hours.