The end of step of gametogenesis
(spermatogenesis) results in formation 4
haploid sperm cells.
- All four sperms are fully functional and
capable of fertilizing the oocyte.
- They are haploid with 23 chromosomes.
The end of step of gametogenesis (oogenesis)
results in formation 1 haploid seconday oocyte and 3 polar
- Meiosis I of primary oocyte produces one seondary oocyte and
one polar body.
- Meiosis II of secondary oocyte produces one mature ovum and one
- The polar body that resulted from meiosis I also undergoes
meiosis II to produce two polar bodies.
- Hence, the end result is one fully functional ovum and
3 polar bodies.
- The 3 polar bodies are non functional and
cannot be fertilized by a sperm.