Tandy, Inc. is in the business of manufacturing men’s and women’s leather computer bags. On January 1, 2019 they started their new fiscal year. The following is their trial balance as of December 31, 2018:
Account Dr Cr
Cash $ 43,200
Accounts Receivable $ 9,000
Raw Materials Inventory (1) $ 20,240
Work in Process Inv. (2) $ 0
Finished Goods Inv. (3) $ 4,500
Land $ 225,000
Equipment $ 310,000
Vehicles $ 84,200
Accumulated Depreciation $ 55,100
Long-term Investments $ 78,500
Accounts Payable $ 14,700
Wages Payable $ 8,470
Mortgage Payable (4) $ 214,500
Common Stock (5) $ 25,000
APIC $ 125,000
Retained Earnings $ 317,417.50
Includes 450 feet of leather at $4 per foot, 350 feet of nylon lining at $1.25 per foot, and 510 golden buckles at $5 per buckle
No bags are currently in process at the beginning of January
Includes 50 completed bags (manufacturing overhead has been applied)
Monthly payments (interest and principle) are $ 2,500
$0.10 par value, 300,000 share authorized and 250,000 share outstanding
Below is information for the first three months of the fiscal year, 2019.
For this coming year, Tandy has raised their sales price to $ 185 per bag. Based on sales contracts they have signed with their major corporate customers, they anticipate the following sales for the first three months of 2019:
January 250 bags
February 225 bags
March 190 bags
According to the terms of the sales contracts they require each customer to pay 80% of the sales price in the month of sale and 20% in the month following. In December 2018, Tandy had $30,000 in total sales.
The production process
Each bag produced requires 3 feet of leather, 8 feet of nylon, 3 gold buckles, and 2.5 hours of direct labor. Currently they are paying their assembly workers $19 / hour (all wages are paid in the month they are incurred). In order to meet the following month’s demand, Tandy desires to keep 15% of the next month’s sales in Finished Goods Inventory. Tandy is forecasting sales in April, 2019 of 285 bags. Additionally, they also keep 30% of next month’s production needs in raw materials inventory. Tandy anticipates production of 255 units in April, 2019. Tandy has signed contracts with their suppliers to purchase leather at $4 a foot, nylon at $1.25/foot, and buckles at $5 per buckle for the following year. Their policy is to pay for 75% of raw materials at the time of purchase and the remaining 25% in the following month. Tandy incurred $ 8,000 of total materials purchases in December of 2018.
This company has the following annual costs for manufacturing overhead.
Factory insurance $ 34,500 paid in equal monthly installments
Factory utilities $ 74,000 paid equally over 12 months
Factory depreciation $ 154,000 paid in equal monthly installments
Factory supervisor $ 120,000 paid by salary
Indirect materials $ 42,000 incurred equally over 12 months
Manufacturing overhead is applied based upon direct labor hours. They expected 55,000 of direct labor hours to be worked in 2019.
Selling and Administrative budget
This company has the following annual expenses in their selling and administrative budget. Assume all expenses are paid when they are incurred.
CEO $110,000 paid by salary
Sales salaries $ 75,000 paid by salary
Sales commissions paid at 3% of sales price
Insurance $ 12,500 paid in equal monthly installments
Property Taxes $ 25,250 paid in equal quarterly installments
Utilities $ 12,300 paid in equal monthly installments
Depreciation $ 76,750 straight-line
Income tax rate = 25%
Beginning cash (at 01/01/19) = $25,000
Please complete the entire operational budget using Microsoft Excel
Get Answers For Free
Most questions answered within 1 hours.